Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Making up for lost time

I’ve always been picky. I’ll see a nearly perfect gift for someone and think, except it’s more of an olive green, and I’d really prefer moss. I’ll find a totally serviceable bath mat, but decide it would really fit the space better if it was an inch and a half wider. Don’t even ask me about clothes shopping. (Suffice to say that it’s a very special combination of my pickiness and the inability of anything off the rack to fit my arms and my torso simultaneously.)

So much yarn! So many good intentions!

So what’s a picky girl like me to do? Well, one option would be the make more things myself. I like this idea. Who doesn’t prefer something personalized to the stuff you can find by the cartload at your local big box store? Wonderful! A solution to my particular brand of particularness!


In case you can’t read those book spines from where you’re sitting, their subjects range from knitting and quilting to pastry arts and bonsai (yeah, I don’t know either).
Not so fast. Sure, I get big, lofty crafting ideas. Of course I’ve bought far more materials and notions than I deserve for the number of items I’ve actually completed. Why? Because I’m still picky when it’s something I’ve made. Since I’m still a beginner to most types of crafting, I psyche myself out before I even start. I’m afraid of putting a lot of time and effort into something and still not liking the outcome. That brings me to the purpose of this blog.

It’s more than a little ridiculous that I have this many sewing patterns, but no finished garments (yet).

I want to start tackling projects instead of overthinking them. I want to throw myself into a new craft without trying to plan for every conceivable bump in the road first. I want to let the entire process be more messy and not worry about things working out perfectly the first time I try them. When I was learning to knit, I made myself sit down a knit at least one row per day. Hopefully this blog will provide me with some accountability and inspire me to make regular, if tiny, steps towards other goals as well.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you :( I want to make dresses and blouses for myself soo bad! But before starting off, I'm already stressed out, sort of and like you said, overthinking everything. My stash is ridiculous and my SIL is coming over in a few month and I feel like I'll either need to hide everything (or she'll think...eh know I'm a hoarder)or need to make a lot of things fast! how are you succeeding on this level?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit it's been slow lately, due in large part to wedding DIY projects that have taken precedence. I did take Project Make (http://www.themakesite.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ProjectMake) earlier this year though, which I think has helped to push me in the right direction. I don't know that I picked up many techniques I'll use very often, but there was a lot of emphasis on just pushing through with projects for the sake of learning without worrying about perfection. A large part of me knew that before, but the class really solidified it and helped me put it into practice!

      Delete